All session times are in Central Standard Time (CST)
Friday, November 13
08:10 AM - 08:15 AMWelcome and Announcements
08:15 AM - 09:00 AMOIG Update Jason Bell, Special Agent, Office of Inspector General - U.S. HHS
- Overview of national projects involving genetic testing, orthotics, and pharmacy fraud schemes
- Use of data analytics to identify health care fraud trends and target problem providers
- Developing successful partnerships with the compliance community
09:00 AM - 09:15 AMBreak
09:15 AM - 10:15 AMCompliance Year in Review Anna Grizzle, Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims PLC Brian Roark, Member, Bass, Berry & Sims PLC
- Review the impact of COVID-19 on compliance issues, including an overview of waivers and other developments related to the pandemic
- Discuss 2020 enforcement actions and lessons learned from these matters
- Gain an understanding of expected trends and that may impact compliance efforts in 2021
10:15 AM - 10:30 AMBreak
10:30 AM - 11:30 AMManaging Compliance to Overcome Chaos Jerod Holloway, Managing Director, KPMG Healthcare & Life Sciences LeToia Crozier, Chief Compliance Officer, naviHealth Kathi Whalen, SVP and Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer, HCA Healthcare, Inc. Lisa Estrada, Senior Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer, LifePoint Health
- Discuss compliance challenges experienced during the pandemic
- Describe mechanisms for tracking constantly changing legal requirements and standards
- Discuss lessons learned for managing future crises
11:30 AM - 12:15 PMMid-Conference Break
12:15 PM - 01:15 PMThe Alignment or Misalignment of HIPAA and Part 2 Jaime Pego, Managing Director, KPMG LLP Dan DeVore, Director, Corporate Privacy, CHS
- Compare and contrast the HIPAA and Part 2 Regulations
- Discuss the Operational Differences between HIPAA and Part 2
- Review Case Studies
01:15 PM - 01:30 PMBreak
01:30 PM - 02:30 PMTelehealth to the Rescue Cari Hollis, Director, Telehealth, Access & Engagement, LifePoint Health Nesrin Tift, Attorney, Bass, Berry & Sims LLC
02:30 PM - 02:45 PMBreak
02:45 PM - 03:45 PMAseraCare and its Impact on the False Claims Act Jack Selden, Partner, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings. LLP Kathryn Sasser, Vice President, Litigation, HCA
- Understand FCA falsity in the context of medical necessity when the controlling guidance is based upon clinical judgment.
- Differentiate between the legal standards for FCA falsity set forth by the 11th Circuit in the Aseracare Hospice case and 3rd Circuit in the Care Alternatives case.
- Understand whether a court may hold that a physician’s clinical judgment can be false if both honestly held and reasonable.
- Understand when sub-regulatory agency guidance may be relied upon to prove FCA falsity after the Supreme Court opinion in Allina Health (June 2019).
03:45 PM - 04:00 PMBreak
04:00 PM - 05:00 PMThe Proposed Stark and Anti-Kickback Statute Regulatory Changes Seema Kanwar, Senior Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Hospitals Inc Scott Richardson, Vice President, Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Health
- Review the proposed rule changes to the federal Stark and Anti-kickback Statutes
- Discuss the impact of the proposed rule changes in the healthcare environment
- Consider how the proposed rule changes should inform a provider’s compliance program
05:05 PM - 06:05 PMNetworking and Discussion Connect with your fellow attendees and enjoy a free-flowing conversation about what stood out during the sessions or a compliance challenge you want feedback on. The objective here is to enable conference participants to network with and learn from each other, and help overcome the isolation of the past months. This optional networking event will be held on Zoom and participants may choose to be on camera.