Washington DC Regional Conference
March 10, 2017
The Importance of Understanding Cybersecurity in a Complex Threat Environment
Mac McMillan, CEO, Cynergistek, Inc.
- Explain the current cybersecurity landscape in healthcare, including recent and emerging trends, and how these threats impact compliance programs
- Identify the risks posed to provider organizations by cyber attacks, and offer proven strategies for mitigating that risk
- Examine real-world examples of breaches caused by cybersecurity threats, such as phishing attacks, malware, ransomware and more
- Distinguish best practices for creating cybersecurity awareness at an organization-wide level
Lessons Learned from FCPA Cases in Healthcare
Sulaksh Shah, Partner, PWC
Gerardo Salazar, Director, PWC
- Provide an overview of FCPA enforcement trends in health care
- Discuss relevant FCPA cases and lessons learned
- Discuss leading compliance practices to mitigate corruption risks
A Breach Is Just the Beginning: Privacy and Security Enforcement Trends
Adam H. Greene, Co-Chair, Health Information Practice, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- The status of the HIPAA audit program
- OCR investigations and settlements
- Data breach class action lawsuits
Words Matter: How to Change Your Results by Changing your Language
Scott Intner, Chief Compliance Officer, George Washington Medical Faculty Associates
- Connect with your audience. Know who they are and what does – and doesn’t – drive action. Saying “it is required” isn’t enough.
- The #1 reason for most HIPAA issues is staff carelessness. To get staff to buy in and pay more attention, don’t talk about HIPAA as the law; talk about patient privacy, respecting patients, and how it impacts actual health care.
- Need to get physicians to document better? Make sure they understand how medical records have changed and what they are now used for.
Analysis of the Annual Work Plan
Valda Clark Christian, VP and Chief Compliance Officer, Office of Corporate Business Integrity, MedStar Health, Inc.
Cecil McCarthy, Entity Compliance Officer, MedStar Health, Inc.
- Review key elements of the 2017 OIG Work Plan
- Highlight new reviews and activities planned by the OIG
- Discuss how compliance officers can integrate the OIG Work Plan into annual risk management and entity work plan development
Compliance Program Effectiveness – Use of Surveys
Ahmed Salim, JD, CHC, Regional Compliance Officer, Presence Health
- The importance of conducting a comprehensive and effective internal compliance survey to measure the effectiveness of your compliance program
- Properly implementing a survey to ensure the maximum level of participation and to determine the best type of survey to help reduce your department’s cost and time
- Conducting a survey that fits your organization’s culture
- Utilizing your compliance survey findings to effectively analyze survey results and trends to drive process and outcome improvements within your organization